Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Someone Else's Clutter

I learned something today: it's easier to deal with someone else's clutter than your own. At least this proved to be true for me today.

I'm not sure what inspired it, but after meeting Snafu this morning and seeing the challenge he's facing in his two closets, I decided I would meet him for lunch and lend him a hand.

I returned in the afternoon with tacos from El Faro. After we ate, I volunteered to do the dishes. One thing led to another, and while Snafu started cleaning up his living room, I cleaned the kitchen. The plan had been for us to work on his closets, not the kitchen and the living room, but this seemed like a better idea.

Initially I just cleaned the dishes, but after a few minutes I found myself sweeping, cleaning out the cabinets beneath the sink, hiding the garbage and trash containers and rearranging items on the counters.

I realized that Snafu has some of the same issues I deal with, namely keeping stuff that might be useful someday -- plastic and paper bags, containers -- but not keeping them in a single, neat, organized place. I found it therapeutic to work on my issue with his stuff.

After a productive hour I needed to go back to work. It felt good to see that I had made a positive difference in someone else's cluttered life, even if my clutter was just as bad as it had been before.

As I was leaving, Snafu thanked me for the help.

"Do me a favor. Don't tell your wife I helped you clean your house," I said.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because someday I may ask you to help me clean mine, and I intend to take full credit for it. You should do the same."

* * * * * * *

I almost forgot, I learned something else today. Snafu told me about cleaning with white distilled vinegar, a cheap and eco-conscious household cleaning alternative.

To return the favor, I told Snafu about using the microwave to sterilize sponges in the kitchen. After finding a reference on this at WebMD, I'm going to nuke my sponges more often -- every other day -- and for twice as long -- two minutes at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment